Heads up when testing "Time Selection" renders in Reaper!

I’ve noticed a problem at times when rendering my plugins in Reaper. I thought there was something wrong with my plugin latency reporting but it turns out to be an issue in Reaper.

When you select a “time selection” range in Reaper that time selection does not snap to nearest samples. You can actually select a time range that starts and ends in between samples. You can see this by zooming in on the time scale. When that rendered file is brought back in (with “Add rendered items to new track”) it’s timing is off by that amount - a fractional sample period - and it does not null with the source track.

I could not figure out how I was getting fractional latency - and that’s the reason. It seems to be a bug, or at least a design oversight, in Reaper and has probably been that way for a long time.

I don’t know if any other DAWs do this but so far I’ve only seen it happen in Reaper.

Typo in my post that I cannot change at this point - it’s when I test (not “render”) my plugins in Reaper.

Was checking to see if iPlug latency compensation was working properly and it is. The problem I sometimes see with rendered timing errors is caused by Reaper.

Just posted this here as an FYI for others.

1 Like