Iplug2 faust vst3 xcode basic setup

Hi, thanks for iplug2 :slight_smile:

I have little software development experience, but I wrote a nice audio effect in faust which I would like to transform into a VST3 plugin. (It needs compiler option -double, just in case that is relevant)

So far on MacOS 10.15.7 I have:
installed faust (BuildingSimple · grame-cncm/faust Wiki · GitHub)
not sure if llvm is installed/needed (how?),
xcode 12.4 running,
VST3 SDK downloaded and copied to dependencies folder.

When I run macOS-VST3 from the IPlugFaustDSP example in xcode, the error is ‘faust/dsp/llvm-dsp.h not found’.

Your help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Hello, welcome

By default the iPlug2 faust example is set up to use a prebuilt faust library, located in the dependencies subfolder of the iPlug2 repo.

The easiest way to make the iPlug2 faust example work is to download the prebuilt libs with this script

but you can also build faust yourself and change the paths in common-… or in the xconfig or .vsprops files that inherit the settings from the common-… config files

hope that helps!

Thanks, Oli!
After running the script it works :slight_smile:
I will dig deeper now… Just a quick question up front: How/where would I let the faust compiler know the option -double (which I need for my project)?
Danke, Klaus

The -double argument is passed to the libfaust compiler if the iPlug2 sample type is 64 bit (double precision).

the iPlug2 sample type is double precision, unless you specify SAMPLE_TYPE_FLOAT as a C++ preprocessor macro (not the default)

So I understand, it’s always compiled with -double if I don’t change anything.

Hopefully you don’t mind another newbee question…
I watched your video iPlug 2 - FAUST / WAMs / AUv3 intro tutorial - YouTube
There is a stage, where the gui has standard sliders which seem to get auto-generated according to the faust code. Later you include some code to do more fancy gui stuff. In the iPlugFaustDSP example, there is always 8 knobs, a scope and a keyboard. How can I disable this and work with the standard auto generated gui elements?

Thank you so much!