IPlug2 on the Android platform?

Is it possible to port IPlug2 to Android?
Or is it planned in the near future?

I won’t do that until android becomes a viable platform for audio.

It’s not perfect but you can run the web audio modules on android devices as PWAs.

android is pretty terrible, but if you do get round to looking at it, Google’s Oboe library is worth a look: https://github.com/google/oboe - it’s probably the easiest way to get low latency audio on the most devices. Also, android will happily run OpenGL ES stuff written in C++ without too much pain.

1 Like

if one were trying to make a non-plugin app, like an ear trainer thing, would that work as a PWA on android?

@iainctduncan Possibly, although if you want to try to get standalone apps working on Android, that would be greatly appreciated.

In general:
The biggest issue right now for android is that there really isn’t a standard plugin format AFAIK. Samsung has their own proprietary audio plugin format, but I’m not counting that. You could use VST3, but I don’t think there are any hosts on Android that support it. As for standalone apps, maybe someone could get that working, but I looked into it previously and it’s more effort than I have time for right now.

Thanks for the reply. Totally understand that in OSS somethings just aren’t high priorities. I will have to spend some time with iPlug 2 to see if it’s going to be a good fit for me, and who knows, if it is, I might be able to justify some time trying to get it working for android down the road. My first priority is cross platform desktop, but always good to have options! Thanks.

Priorities exist in both open and closed-source software, but closed-source usually has more money behind it as well as more developers. As for cross-platform desktop, I’d say iPlug2 is an excellent choice. There’s no Linux support yet, but that’ll change soon I’m sure and your other option is JUCE, which is fine if you want your code to be GPL or you’re building a proprietary plugin and have the money to pay for a JUCE license.

1 Like