Stand-alones in iPlug 2?

Hi, I’m evaluating iPlug for some projects of mine, but they are not plugins, they are stand-alone music training apps. I could write them as plugs too I guess, but I want users to be able to run without a host. They will have a scheduler, do midi i/o, make sound for people who have no sound sources to pipe midi to, and have graphics. I’m wondering a few things:

1. how suitable is iPlug 2 for this kind of app at this point? anyone else doing them here?
  2. are there examples or docs for making standalones anywhere? I couldn’t see an example in the examples folder on github
  3. if you have done the same in JUCE and can provide technical comparison or reasons for choosing iPlug I’d love to hear them. DearImGUI looks like a big plus to me, but no building for android is a minus…

thanks everyone, and thanks iplug devs for your work!

1 ) pretty suitable i’d say… although it really depends on the kind of UI you need to make. You could use the webview functionality to do some quite fancy UI stuff, if IGraphics is not powerful enough. IPlug does not let you create multiple windows, so bear that in mind.
2 ) every example can be build as a standalone app. The IPlugResponsiveUI example is maybe a good one to look at

Thanks Oli. I do not have fancy UI requirements really, I’d like to be able to implement a piano and staff view eventually, but there will be nothing that is at all taxing on the graphics system. I will dig into the examples. I really enjoyed your presentation on music hack space btw, really interesting.

Making a good staff view is a lot of work. I’d probably see what’s out there already, maybe There is a good web library for that