Using Visual Studio Build Tools 2019 - weird VST3 output file

I know that I am doing an off-stream thing. However, all project compiles fine with MS Build Tools 2019 (16.6.3). But, the only small issue is that the resulting VST3 does not load. (Some hosts do recognize this file - some - do not but load always fails). The actual output file size for this VST3 is twice smaller than made with MSVC 19 Preview) - so I guess something wrong with linking…

I am just curious about what could be the reason for that? I am using the following preprocessor definitions
VST3_API
WIN32
NOMINMAX
_WINDLL
IPLUG_EDITOR 1
IPLUG_DSP 1
IGRAPHICS_GL2
IGRAPHICS_NANOVG
What else should be tuned for VST3 project?

My versions are
MSVC v142 - VS 2019 C++ x64/x86 build tools (v14.26)
Windows 10 SDK (10.0.18362.0)

Any ideas someone…please :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Don’t really understand your approach, i guess you don’t want to install vs2019 because its so big? No idea why it would compile but the binary is too small, but are you sure thats not the usual debug vs release build difference?

You’re just making things hard for yourself not using the provided visual studio projects, and i’m sorry but don’t really have time to engage with this topic to help. People are working on CMake support which might be helpful for what you want to do.

Yes, vs2019 is big (the commercial version is also expensive) and I am in love with my IDE :smile:
I will try to figure out what’s going wrong with it.
Looking forward for CMake.

Changing MSVC v142 - VS 2019 C++ x64/x86 build tools (v14.26)
to MSVC v141 - VS 2019 C++ x64/x86 build tools (v14.16)
does not change anything for vst3 but affects file size :slight_smile:

rutracker не канает?

I want full control of what compiler does with each file, what is included and what is not. This alternative compilation that I made for IPlug2 with MS Build Tools reveals that

1. something wrong with IPlug2 VST3 projects structure- OR
  2. I missed something.
    Surprisingly, the compilation goes well for all other projects. Even VST3 compiles well but the file is not recognized by hosts (see the screenshot).
    So currently I presume that #1 is the most probable cause.